South Moor is an old colliery village on a valley side looking in south in the North West of Durham. Coal was found and worked in a small way mid 1750s to the south of the area. Craghead and Quaking Houses were the first areas of development to the south of South Moor in the mid 1850s.
South Moor started to be developed in late 1890 with the development of pit shafts to the north and west of the village along with colliery housing, mixed shopping area, churches and chapels, schools, public houses, places of entertainment and a miners’ hall which included an education centre and indoor games room.
After the First World War, the local coal company donated a large plot of land, to the south of St George’s church, to be set out and used as a memorial park dedicated to employees of the South Moor Colliery Co. Ltd who had killed in action.
After the Second World War and the nationalisation of the coal mines, surface working of the mines began to be closed down and men went down other shafts in the area and travelled underground to their original place of work. At a later date these working places also began to be closed down. The older men became redundant and the younger men had to travel to other areas for work, either coastal pits or the coalfields of Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire. Some of the older men found work in other industries such as the Consett Iron Company or the Ransome and Marles Ball Bearing Factory or the on the Team Valley Trading Estate. At the same time Category D villages were being discussed and this took its toll on the area. The rest is down to history.